A Directory of LWN Articles I Like- 1 min
LWN.net has a lot of really well-written articles, and I’ve been collating some great articles for people at different skill levels. The initial inspiration for this was to find articles for an operating systems class I was tutoring.
- Variable-length arrays, pros and cons
- What if we we used really large pages (> 1 MB) versus the smaller page sizes that we normally use?
- How can we get more fine-grained security than just having read/write/execute permissions for files? Could we restrict particular applications to only access certain directories?. See also: the pledge() syscall.
- System calls are slow since we need to switch to the OS: can we allow certain syscalls to be implemented in user-space memory? (vDSO)
- How does a program get run?